Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is there a chemical antidote to bleach that will inactivate it instantly?

On Apr 9, 11:28*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
Danny D. wrote:
I spilled a few drops of bleach on the rug, and immediately flushed it
with water, but the thought came to me that there might be an instant
chemical "antidote" to bleach (like there is with an acid:base).

Is there something (other than water dilution) that counteracts
bleach?

They sell a chlorine removal product for spas and pools. "Chlor-out" sodium
thiosulfate.

Yes, that was what I was thinking too. Sodium thiosulfate is used
to lower the level of chlorine in a pool. I've never used it, but I
guess
it's for folks who shock it with chlorine and get it high before they
need to use it and they can't wait. The other question is what
effect
sodium thiosulfate itself might have on the carpet? Going back to the
acid/base thing, lye will neutralize acid. That works great in a test
tube. But probably not very practical for a carpet.