Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Magnetic limescale inhibitors - useful for carp?

I understood that they do not reduce the content, I mean how can they, they
tend to make the particlles clump and one supposes that this will only be
effective if there are not too many of them!

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
wrote in message
They MIGHT work in low hardwater areas, but where we are, these electronic
devices achieved no water softening effect at all. Useless!On Sunday, 18
January 2004 19:01:08 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:
On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 17:41:43 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

"Michael McNeil" wrote in message
news:d1b5f841ab2e5b9149809bb507dda204.45219@mygat e.mailgate.org...
"Robert Irwin" catfishpcAThotmailDOTcom wrote in message

The plumber is about to fit one in our new place on a combi boiler.
Do
these
work or should I tell him to send it back and get a chemical one?

I don't believe anyone in their right mind has ever tried fishing with
magnets. Maggots though...

Mine is an electronic one and it works.

All the top water softeners people make them,. Even Fernox make one.

I rather doubt if they are in the electronics business, Almost
certainly they resell something designed and made by someone else.

Also:
One, the WaterImp, is even "endorsed" by the Chemical Engineering Dept.
at
Bath University,
http://www.waterimp.co.uk/scientific.html

That is stretching it.

The company also repeatedly says that water is "capricious". WHat
kind of science is that?

There is inconsistency.

"Our units are not softeners. They are conditioners"

"In a very short time, approximately four weeks, you will notice the
water begins to feel softer. Taps, shower roses and other outlets
gradually lose their coating of scale. Lather will increase and the
use of detergents will be reduced."

These last two claims are chemically impossible.

Also:

DPS at:
http://www.heatweb.com
Recommend the Water King electronic de-scaling box

Eco-Hometec (made by MAN) make one of the finest boilers around, in the
RR
class, Andy hall will tell you all about it, yet as Simon Stroud on this
ng,
who bought one, said..."One small issue when dealing with Eco-Hometec
was
their apparent keenness for "electronic" water conditioners."

Not when I spoke to them. The recommendation was phosphor dosing or
ion exchange softening.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl