Andy Hall

Default Reasonable price for a replacement CH boiler?

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 22:41:34 +0000, Hugo Nebula
wrote:

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 19:08:18 +0000, a particular chimpanzee named Andy
Hall randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

You don't say which model of Promax it is, but at Discounted Heating,
which in itself is going to be above BG's buy prices, these range from
£687 inc. for the basic 15kW model to £879 inc. for the larger 32kW
system model.

Even going on the more expensive one (for a vented system) of £749,
that leaves £2000 for labour. My mum's said that the salesman has
said there will be two fitters required for a total of 16 hours.
Assuming their entire day is taken up with the work (doubtful), this
is a rate of over £125 per hour.

Of which the lion's share is margin for BG.

There is presumably the provisioning of a condensate drain, but even
then this is not a big deal. Are there really no additional controls
required to comply with part L1 etc.?

The existing system has a programmer, cylinder 'stat and TRVs, so it
complies with the minimum needed.

Do you not know any CORGI fitters by virtue of your BCO activity?
Surely they would be a good option in comparison to Dick Turpin, PLC.

Unfortunately, I live 200 miles away.

Ah. Maybe you could call the Building Control people at her local
authority, explain who you are and see if they have any ideas? Just
an idea.....

Certainly I'd take this up with the salesman, although I would also
check how much price discretion that they and their management have.

I've just been told the quote by my mother tonight, so I intend to
press the salesman (sorry, Technical Sales Advisor) tomorrow to lower
the price substantially, or cancel the whole deal.

From scenarios of boiler installations that have been posted in the
last few months it seems that the target price ought to be at around
£1500 - 1800. It would seem to me that if you can get the price to
under £2k, that would not be too unreasonable, bearing in mind your
mum's perceived sense of peace of mind.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl