Unisaw A100

Default replace rubber on delta band saw?

russ wrote:
Hi I just bought an old delta 14" band saw for $100. I will let you
know in a couple of weeks if I get to gloat.

Actually Russ, and don't take this the wrong way but, you
don't need to wait to gloat. On the other hand, if you
report back in a couple/few and yell us you've failed, well,
you really might need to turn back your credentials for
being a man. No really, it's that easy.

2 questions

how do I know when it is time to replace the rubber on the wheels?

Are they cracked?

How hard is that.

Well, I just woke up... OK, we really don't need to go
there. Oh! You meant how hard is it to change out the
tires. If you visit the OWWM you'll find articles on band
saws and if memory serves me you'll find Bob Vaughn's
article on changing out the tires and tuning a band saw. He
might give a little more info than you'll find here.

http://www.owwm.com/FAQ/Default.asp

Okay one more. This band saw looks to be 30-or forty years old.
(Used in a school I think.) How much has delta improved this machine
since then.

They (Delta) have hinged the wheel covers. I suspect that
any other changes were/are value engineering stuff like
changing the upper guide post from hexagonal to round and
that sort of thing. Basically the saw you have is pretty
close to being like the saw today which is pretty close to
being like the saw as it was re-introduced back in the
mid/late 30's.

Now, you say it's 30 years old? I'll be willing to wager
that the saw is older than that. Just call it a hunch.

UA100