Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default How many 2.5mm T&E into a 13A socket?

harry wrote:
On Apr 1, 12:56 pm, Roger Mills wrote:
I have a dual 13A socket under my kitchen sink - powering the
dishwasher and waste disposal device. I need power for an
additional appliance and would prefer to install an additional
socket rather than use a 2-way adapter.

The current socket has 3 x 2.5mm T&E cables connected to it - which
I assume to be two for the ring main plus a spur. The cables all
disappear behind the cabinets (I didn't install them!) and there's
no easy way of knowing which is the spur - other than separating
the 3 and finding out what doesn't then work, etc.

If there were only two, it would be easy to wire the new socket
into the ring by diverting one of the two to it and then having
another short cable between the two sockets.

If I randomly pick one of the three to divert, I may well achieve
the same thing. But I may instead end up with two daisy-chained
spurs. [This probably wouldn't matter in practice, even though it's
not in accordance with the regs].

However, if I could get FOUR wires into the existing socket, I would
have a ring plus two separate spurs - which would presumably be ok?
I wouldn't then need to worry about which one is the spur.

Is this likely to be possible? Any other relevant comments (ignoring
Part P, of course!)?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Turn off power, remove socket and separate out the wires.
Turn power on, check out which wires are live, they are the ring the
other (dead one) is the spur.

So only Dave Liquorice and myself wants to do the job properly and work on a
dead supply:-)?

Easy and safer to do than a live test.

--
Adam