Ed Sirett

Default Reasonable price for a replacement CH boiler?

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 19:08:18 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 18:15:24 +0000, Hugo Nebula
wrote:

My mother's central heating boiler is a bit on the old and
temperamental side (a bit like her), so I was happy that she went to
get a quote for a replacement. I was shocked, however, at the price
quoted by British Gas of £2,700 for a Potterton Promax. The work
quoted for is minimal, just replacing the boiler in it's existing
location, no alterations to the controls or the cylinder.

Unfortunately, my mother is from the old school of, "Well, if that's
the price the Gas Board have said, then that's what I have to pay",
and she's given a deposit. I intend to have words with the salesman,
but what would be regarded as a fair price for this work?

Oh dear. This is the second of these situations in a week just among
a relatively small community of this newsgroup. One wonders how
many thousands of other identical cases of people being ripped off by
BG are happening per week - must be thousands.

It is particularly repugnant that they are taking advantage of an
elderly person who has basically trusted the "Gas Board" probably for
all their life. It's one thing to use a brand to justify a higher
price, but this is ridiculous.

You don't say which model of Promax it is, but at Discounted Heating,
which in itself is going to be above BG's buy prices, these range from
£687 inc. for the basic 15kW model to £879 inc. for the larger 32kW
system model.

There is presumably the provisioning of a condensate drain, but even
then this is not a big deal. Are there really no additional controls
required to comply with part L1 etc.?

Hopefully Mr. Sirett or Mr. Stumbles will be along shortly to give an
indicative price.

Do you not know any CORGI fitters by virtue of your BCO activity?
Surely they would be a good option in comparison to Dick Turpin, PLC.

Certainly I'd take this up with the salesman, although I would also
check how much price discretion that they and their management have.
In most large organisations, each level has limits in terms of this,
so there may not be any point in trying to pursue a lower price with
the foot soldier. Cancellation, if you can, and finding an
alternative would be better commercially. However, I do know that
diplomacy is often required with the elderly who on the one hand value
independence while on the other are vulnerable.

Most of the replies have said it all.
The only thing I would argue is the 5 hours work.
Let us assume that they make no attempt to bring the control systems up to
part L compliance, which then makes it difficult to complete the Benchmark
Log Book.
Even so the minimum to comply with the manuafacturer's instructions is
likely to require flushing twice.
Also the flueing arrangements are likely to be diferent and some making
good ought to be done?

I suspect that £1500 ought to see the job through fine and a bit more if
there is something awkward.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk