Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
J.B.Slocomb J.B.Slocomb is offline

Default Reloading Automation

On Fri, 29 Mar 2013 11:55:08 -0500, Richard
wrote:

On 3/29/2013 7:03 AM, J.B.Slocomb wrote:

If a 30-30 round won't chamber there is really something wrong. the
head space is taken on the rim so if the case won't fully chamber the
shoulder is rather far forward.... or the bullet is protruding a lot
more then it should.

What I would do if competition shooting with a rimmed cartridge and
used brass would be to full length resize all the brass, at least the
first time, and make up a dummy cartridge as a master for how deep to
seat the bullet, unless of course you always use the same bullet.

With a tubular magazine you also need to decide how heavy a crimp you
need to keep the things together :-)

Generally speaking, unless you are going for the last FPS you can
squeeze out you aren't going to have a lot of case problems... I am
assuming that you are not trying for the last possible foot per second
in muzzle velocity for cowboy shooting ... and if you were to load a
30-30 to its original specifications you probably will never need to
worry about the cases.

I hear that.

For what it's worth, this ammo came from my late father-in-law's
collection.

I went through all of that last night.
Factory loads (Winchester and Remington) were exactly 50 mm long.
Some of the handloads were 1 to 1.5 mm longer. So maybe...

But the real difference, and I'm guessing the reason these rounds (six
of then) wouldn't load is that the necks were bigger; fatter.
4 or 5 thousanths? Could that make such a difference?

I need to go back to school reading inch micrometers.
My large frame ones are all metric, but he small ones are inch.
I confuse easily these days...

You need to determine the design sizes for your ammo - in the case of
30-30 it is 2.0395 long (51.80 mm) but in addition you need to have
the shoulder in the right place - it starts 1.4405 from the base - but
this is hard to measure so most people initially full length resize
the case. than when fired the case expands (fire forms) to fit your
chamber and from then on you just measure the length of the case and
trim if necessary.

Generally speaking you can figure that any factory chamber will be
safe with any "standard" cartridge case.

AS for mixed measuring instruments, it can be a problem. I recently
had the use of a fellow's shop in Singapore for a week. His lathe and
milling machine were both metric and his measuring tools were imperial
:-)

--
Cheers,

John B.