Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
J.B.Slocomb J.B.Slocomb is offline

Default Reloading Automation

On Thu, 28 Mar 2013 02:39:53 -0500, Richard
wrote:

On 3/28/2013 2:12 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:

Dillon is the gold standard of progressive reloading units.

I'd suggest the 650 with a case feeder. You still pull the handle and
place the bullet. It easily runs at 30 rounds a minute once you're all
set up. No problem running 2K rounds after supper. Changeover to
another caliber is significant. For quicker changeovers and smaller
runs go to the 550 press - no case feeder, no auto rotation, less
stations.

if you want to REALLY crank them out, go to the 1050 press. This is
the one to use if you'd like to add a servo motor to run the crank and
sensors, PLC etc. then sit back and watch it run. other folks have
done this if you'd care to investigate. A fair bit of coin here, way
to much IMHO.

My son runs a 650 and does our 9mm, .223, and .308. I have a 550 and
do .50AE, .270, .3030, .45 ; need more dies for other calibers.

I'm watching for a .50 BMG press. Prices and availablity nuts right
now, I'm waiting a bit for bama scare #2 to subside.

karl

Cool...
http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/p/9/catid/1/pid/25792/BL_550_Basic_Loader
I guess it is assumed that you know what you are doing when you start
shopping for tools.

But there is a bit more involved, isn't there, Karl?
Getting all the adapters for a certain round in the forst place.

Resizing brass, and for rim headspaced brass for tube magazines, I see
that crimping (and doing it right!) is important.
http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Lee-Crimp-Die/productDetail/Rifle-Dies/prod9999002251/cat100147

Also, a personal question, how do you keep track of how many times a
case has been reloaded?

Take it from the perspective of an interested party who has no
experience at all with the subject...

Obviously it's an equipment sport, but
Where to start?

I loaded brass mostly target loads for pistol bulls eye shooting and
used to measure the case length only. Never annealed or kept track of
that I had converted from 44-40 but in those days long guns were
generally used for hunting so likely most of the brass was once fired
stuff.

You mention "cowboy shooting". Do you use cast bullets for that. If so
then you also need to get into bullet making, the various alloys,
hardening cast lead bullets, and, and, and.

--
Cheers,

John B.