Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
J.B.Slocomb J.B.Slocomb is offline

Default Reloading Automation

On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 20:45:52 -0500, "RogerN"
wrote:

Possible metalworking content!

Ammo's difficult to find and usually expensive so any thoughts on taking a
progressive press and making it as automatic as practical?

I saw some interesting videos online of presses, some homemade case feeders,
bullet feeders, etc. Some you only had to pull the handle, some had the
handle attached to a gear motor crank.

Any thoughts on suitable presses to start with?

I've been looking at Lee load masters, they are cheaper but maybe fore a
reason. Can you use a better quality powder measure with the Lee load
master?

Or would I be better off starting with the Hornady Lock N Load or a Dillon?

My goal is to reload for now and further automate (case & bullet
feeders(homemade?)) later.

RogerN

I think that first I'd have a look at then several "progressive"
pull on the handle.

I used one for several years to turn out 12 ga. loads for trap
shooting and as the only "problem" was in changing loads. The machine
I had a sliding bar to meter the powder and shot so changing loads
involved new bars, bushing in metering holes, etc. But for something
like trap or target loading where you intend on turning put several
thousand rounds they are a good solution.