Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default Reloading Automation

On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 20:45:52 -0500, "RogerN"
wrote:

Possible metalworking content!

Ammo's difficult to find and usually expensive so any thoughts on taking a
progressive press and making it as automatic as practical?

I saw some interesting videos online of presses, some homemade case feeders,
bullet feeders, etc. Some you only had to pull the handle, some had the
handle attached to a gear motor crank.

Any thoughts on suitable presses to start with?

I've been looking at Lee load masters, they are cheaper but maybe fore a
reason. Can you use a better quality powder measure with the Lee load
master?

Or would I be better off starting with the Hornady Lock N Load or a Dillon?

My goal is to reload for now and further automate (case & bullet
feeders(homemade?)) later.

RogerN

Dillon is the gold standard of progressive reloading units.

I'd suggest the 650 with a case feeder. You still pull the handle and
place the bullet. It easily runs at 30 rounds a minute once you're all
set up. No problem running 2K rounds after supper. Changeover to
another caliber is significant. For quicker changeovers and smaller
runs go to the 550 press - no case feeder, no auto rotation, less
stations.

if you want to REALLY crank them out, go to the 1050 press. This is
the one to use if you'd like to add a servo motor to run the crank and
sensors, PLC etc. then sit back and watch it run. other folks have
done this if you'd care to investigate. A fair bit of coin here, way
to much IMHO.

My son runs a 650 and does our 9mm, .223, and .308. I have a 550 and
do .50AE, .270, .3030, .45 ; need more dies for other calibers.

I'm watching for a .50 BMG press. Prices and availablity nuts right
now, I'm waiting a bit for bama scare #2 to subside.

karl