Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable) Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable) is offline

Default Electrical help. (Adding outlet to light switch box)

On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 21:21:23 -0400, "Wild_Bill"
wrote:

What Bruce said, although I wouldn't add a receptacle to a lighting
circuit.. keeping them separate is more sensible.

Yes, but if you know that receptacle is on the Light circuit, you
won't try using it for a hair dryer and trip the breaker & blackout
the room at the same time. That one can have the chargers for the
razor and the electric toothbrush.

If there is an existing wall receptacle in the room (or in the bathroom wall
but facing into an adjacent space), I'd replace it with a GFCI version, and
extend the circuit from the GFCI to the conveniently placed location (up
near the countertop etc).

Preferred, but Murphy never makes it that easy.

Receptacles downstream/after the GFCI receptacle have the same protection if
installed properly.

Which means coming out of the LOAD terminals of the GFCI to feed other
outlets that need to be protected, like the other bathroom or the Wet
Bar.

BUT you have to know where it goes, because you do NOT want to GFCI
protect certain things - like the Refrigerator in the kitchen. Trust
me, you don't want it to false trip while you're on vacation, and come
back to a refrig that's been off for over a week. Not Pleasant.

If it feeds the Fridge outlet next in the loop, do NOT protect
downstream - Leave the Romex leaving the box unprotected, bridged to
the LINE lugs. Install another GFCI outlet at the first outlet /past/
the Refrigerator, and you can use the LOAD lugs to feed any more
outlets past that.

Otherwise, I'd add a 12-2 plus ground circuit from the service box and
terminate with a GFCI receptacle located in a convenient location (leaving a
pigtail at a convenient location on the protected side of the GFCI, nutted
and placed in a secured handy box will provide the convenience of easy
future expansion of the GFCI circuit).

Don't get too fancy - Just one chunk of new Romex from the breaker box
to the bathroom, one new breaker (or swap out an existing single for a
twin if space is tight), one new GFCI receptacle, and Stop.

If you want to go anywhere past that, either do it now (run a 3-wire
Romex with two circuits from Panel to Bath 1, loop off a 2-wire Romex
to Bath 2) or wait and add on when you want to do it.

Every bathroom should have it's own dedicated GFCI circuit, but
builders are unflinchingly cheap - I had to split up a house that had
3 and a Half Baths, and all four were looped on One outlet circuit.
And they had three teenage girls with curling irons and blow driers
all trying to get ready for school at the same time...

They were SO happy when they suddenly had 4 separate dedicated
bathroom outlet circuits.

-- Bruce --