Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
whoyakidding's ghost whoyakidding's ghost is offline

Default A Very Light Car

On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 23:15:37 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 08:57:47 -0700, whoyakidding's ghost
wrote:

On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 22:12:54 -0400,
wrote:

If it wasn't so hard to insure and register a non-original 7 in
Ontario, I'd have one!!!!

Can you do a Morgan there and license it as a motorcycle? Maybe use
the donor engine's registration?

Nope. Cannot even build a 3 wheeler with 2 at the front and one at
the back - the only one licenseable is the CanAm Spyder, or one build
before something like 1960.

How do they handle the Harleys with training wheels (4 wheels total)
in Ontario? I've read that they're illegal in some states but it's a
gray area with cops using them.

No 4 wheel motorcycles in Ontario. Think it is Canada wide.

Interesting. A friend in Ontario told me he's seeing lots of those
training wheels which are massively popular in the US. Could be a
nasty surprise for owners if cops decide to crack down. One I saw up
close had enough bodywork that you couldn't see that the original rear
wheel was still there unless you were looking hard.

Hannigan was into sidecars and originally from Ontario. Check out what
he's up to.
http://thekneeslider.com/honda-gold-...n-motorsports/
Fantastic little machine - it would have to be registered as a Quad
- which is restricted to where it can be driven.

I think these rules need to be changed.

One thing it tells me is that vehicles like the Aptera trying to duck
crash test certification by pretending to be motorcycles, will be non
starters in many jurisdictions. Insurance costs might be prohibitive
anyway.

Side note: I saw a Spyder wheel into a 711 lot the other day by
cutting across an adjoining parking lot. He was doing about 50 when he
left the roadway. Sloped and humped asphalt, I thought he might go
airborne. Definitely reckless and I'm no prude about such things. I
immediately thought Kenny Powers!