Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default A Very Light Car

On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 08:38:23 -0700, wrote:

On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 20:27:19 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 17:04:19 -0700,
wrote:

On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 18:30:11 -0400, Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 15:05:09 -0700 (PDT), jon_banquer
wrote:

While KiddingNoOne continues to live in fantasy land and is in total
denial of what the Chevy Volt is (An overweight, fat, pig) here is a
company with a proven record of success (They won the X-Prize) that
has the right idea:

http://www.edison2.com/

This one has it by over 100 lb. (900 lb.)

http://tinyurl.com/c8mfsw2

Lotus 6. 1952. Nice aluminum work, too.
Back in 2006 I was given a book called Racing and Sports Car Chassis
Design. I am now re-reading the book for perhaps the 7th time. Looking
at the link for the Lotus 6 makes me want to make my own car more than
ever. I love the look of polished aluminum car bodies. And I can
understand the book, the principals described in it are described so
well. I have put some practice chassis designs on paper and have done
the calculations using formulae from the book and other places. That
Lotus 6 is just beeeauuutifull. If I didn't need to work I could make
a car like the Lotus 6. All I would need to buy would be an english
wheel, a stretcher, a shrinker, an air planisher and a few other sheet

You'd better include ear plugs + muffs there, Eric.

metal tools. I already have the machine shop to make the other
components. Man, I really want to make a Sports Car.

I wanted a Lotus Europa for the longest time as a teen. Then I saw one
in person and that dream dissolved. It was in ratty shape, smoked,
and had a splintering body. I switched to a Countach. I'd still take
one if anyone has a spare.

What do you see in the Lotus 6 which would make you want to own one?
I rode in a holey MGTD in LoCal for a year and wouldn't ever want to
own one. It took my buddy Tommy several thousand dollars a year just
to keep it running, not including maintenance items or gas. The 6
seems to fit into that slot in my eyes.

It's not the exact car that I want, but the esthetics of the car, the
body design, really please me. There is a Ferrari from the early
fifties that I like even more but I can't remember the model.

Possibly an original 166 MM Barchetta. If you can find a photo of a
1948 Cisitalia, you'll see where that whole school of body design came
from. Its culmination was the 427 Cobra roadster. The AC Ace, which
was the basis of the Cobras, was an admitted copy of the Barchetta --
without the 1.5 liter V12. Pistons like thimbles but it went like
hell.

--
Ed Huntress

But it's
not the exact car I want either. I have an idea, a couple actually, of
what I want for a custom made sports car. To get that car I would need
to build it myself. But there is no reason to start completely from
scratch, I can use cosmetic and mechanical design elements from other
cars. The English and Italian design esthetics greatly appeal to me.
Eric