Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A Very Light Car

On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 20:27:19 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 17:04:19 -0700, wrote:

On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 18:30:11 -0400, Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 15:05:09 -0700 (PDT), jon_banquer
wrote:

While KiddingNoOne continues to live in fantasy land and is in total
denial of what the Chevy Volt is (An overweight, fat, pig) here is a
company with a proven record of success (They won the X-Prize) that
has the right idea:

http://www.edison2.com/

This one has it by over 100 lb. (900 lb.)

http://tinyurl.com/c8mfsw2

Lotus 6. 1952. Nice aluminum work, too.

Back in 2006 I was given a book called Racing and Sports Car Chassis
Design. I am now re-reading the book for perhaps the 7th time. Looking
at the link for the Lotus 6 makes me want to make my own car more than
ever. I love the look of polished aluminum car bodies. And I can
understand the book, the principals described in it are described so
well. I have put some practice chassis designs on paper and have done
the calculations using formulae from the book and other places. That
Lotus 6 is just beeeauuutifull. If I didn't need to work I could make
a car like the Lotus 6. All I would need to buy would be an english
wheel, a stretcher, a shrinker, an air planisher and a few other sheet

You'd better include ear plugs + muffs there, Eric.

metal tools. I already have the machine shop to make the other
components. Man, I really want to make a Sports Car.

I wanted a Lotus Europa for the longest time as a teen. Then I saw one
in person and that dream dissolved. It was in ratty shape, smoked,
and had a splintering body. I switched to a Countach. I'd still take
one if anyone has a spare.

What do you see in the Lotus 6 which would make you want to own one?
I rode in a holey MGTD in LoCal for a year and wouldn't ever want to
own one. It took my buddy Tommy several thousand dollars a year just
to keep it running, not including maintenance items or gas. The 6
seems to fit into that slot in my eyes.

It's not the exact car that I want, but the esthetics of the car, the
body design, really please me. There is a Ferrari from the early
fifties that I like even more but I can't remember the model. But it's
not the exact car I want either. I have an idea, a couple actually, of
what I want for a custom made sports car. To get that car I would need
to build it myself. But there is no reason to start completely from
scratch, I can use cosmetic and mechanical design elements from other
cars. The English and Italian design esthetics greatly appeal to me.
Eric