Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default BBQ paint

On Mar 26, 9:44*pm, "Steve W." wrote:
jon_banquer wrote:
Powder coating isn't magic, it's just plastic of one form or another
and will char off if heated, if rust doesn't get under it first. *Good
for aluminum trim parts, though.

Stan

Power coating is good for a hell of a lot more than aluminum parts!
For example, powder coating is great on steel car and motorcycle
frames.

Powder coating is far more durable than the best polyurethane paint
(If you're old like me think Dupont Imron) because it doesn't chip
nearly as easily.

SOME powder types will resist impact well. Others will chip and fail easily.
A lot of the durability of both relies on the substrate and surface prep.
If done correctly a good liquid will last as long as a good powder.

There are some areas where powder has the edge. Ease of application, reuse of over spray,
environmental concerns being the big ones.

In the case of a BBQ, any conventional powder would be off the list before it started.
Now if you wanted to add in ceramics or metal sprays then those "powders" would work. BUT
this is not a high dollar unit and I'm doubtful if the OP wants to spend about 5 times
what his smoker costs new to paint the old one.

--
Steve W.

The OP is a clueless moron who takes up space.