Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default Adding extra ground/neutral buss bar in electrical panel or add sub-panel?

On Mar 25, 11:34*am, wrote:
On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 07:30:16 -0700 (PDT), Mikepier

wrote:
Why can only gnd wires be put on the new buss bar and not the neutrals?

The bus bar you are adding is using the enclosure as a current path.
OK for grounding but not for a circuit current path.

As long as the screw you use is threaded into the metal it is OK but
it has to be a thread forming machine screw, not a sheet metal screw.
You should be using the bus bar intended for your panel.

When I added a bus bar I ran the heaviest copper wire that would fit
the new bus bar between the old and new one, Sure the bus bar was
screwed directly to the panel but the direct connection was the heavy
copper wire. And the middle group inspector said I did a good job