Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug Miller[_4_] Doug Miller[_4_] is offline

Default Electrical help. (Adding outlet to light switch box)

stryped wrote in
:

I need to add a gfi outlet to my wifes bathroom. I want to add
it to the current light switch box. This box currently has two
switches, one for the fan,light and one for the vanity light.
Each switch has a white wire, a black wire, and a ground. When
checking with a voltmeter, the white wire on both switches
always has power. Each black wire only has power when the switch
is turned on. I am assuming the white wire is the power wire.
Can I take these white wires off the switches, connect them to
the top and bottom "hot" terminal on the gfi outlet, then feed
the switches from both terminals on the other side of the gfi?
When I did this messing around with the switches, everything
worked properly. I just thought that the black wire was always
the constant power wire.

Hire an electrician before you burn your house down, or electrocute yourself. You don't
understand enough about this to do it safely.