Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default VIDEO of cutting a thread on 4th axis of my Bridgeport InteractCNC mill with LinuxCNC

On 3/22/2013 20:28, jon_banquer wrote:
On Mar 22, 12:52 pm, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:
"Ignoramus3931" wrote in ...
My guy asked me to cut a 1mm pitch thread on a custom shaft.

I could not do it on my lathe, so I finally bit the bullet and wrote a
subroutine to do threading with my 4th axis rotary table. I use a 60
degree chamfering end mill.

Now I can cut any thread, any pitch, right or left handed, and if the
thread is very coarse, the subroutine does it in several passes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMENnIJrl9Y

I am afraid that it does not create a 100% correct thread geometry,
but I hope that I can do enough things with it to be useful with some
adjustments to diameter.

For a 1MM pitch, a hand ground, single point hss threading tool probably would have worked just as well and would also have produced the correct root geometry.

That would require building a skill. That's not iggy's bag. iggy is
almost totally focused on buying stuff for nothing rather than
building skills.

I would say converting a machine to a different control, and writing
complex routines for doing unusual things with it constitute a real
skill. Don't forget his math abilities, second to nobody in this group.
He seems to find a LOT of spare time to enjoy doing things other than
buying and selling.

Check out his website, totally voluntary done by him.

People really only need to learn skills to complete the task at hand.

Read some of his posts about what he HAS done, and see how many you can do.

Sure, others may have different skillsets, but those who can and do, and
also post proof, are way above and beyond those who only brag.

I would much prefer to see all that people have done, than just read in
this newsgroup about stuff people have done.

"It ain't braggin' if you can do it." -- Yogi Berra

I wish I had enough spare time to do more, but gotta balance work,
family, rest, etc. What's left over my spare time. G

--
Steve Walker
(remove brain when replying)