Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe gwinn Joe gwinn is offline

Default Dishwasher liming (was Machine Gun Parts kits)

In article , Jim Wilkins
wrote:

"Joe Gwinn" wrote in message

One of the things I noticed when the detergents changed in ~2010 was
that coffee and tea cups developed a tightly adhering brown film
that
even hand scrubbing didn't touch.

Alconox, the original lab detergent (which I first heard of while in
college), is intended for hand washing of labware, and so I tried
it,
and noticed that the brown film peeled right off after a little
soaking.

Coffee and tea stains are still the waterloo of non-phosphate
detergents.

Alconox is also very good in ultrasonic cleaners.

Joe Gwinn

When I studied chemistry in the 60's the profs said that Tide was the
best lab glassware cleaner. Much of the glassware had unbrushable
shapes and any residue, especially of metallic salts, could poison the
next experiment.

I do recall some Tide versus Alconox debates from the day, with echos
to this day. Both are used to this day. The cost of detergent is a
tiny fraction of the cost of running a lab, so I don't really
understand the point of the argument.

http://www.pg.com/productsafety/msds.../detergents/Li

q_2X_TIde_products_-_all_updated_03-13.pdf

Notice that the dose of alcohol that kills half the rats that drink it
is only 0.7% of their weight.

This is about twice the estimated LD50 dose for humans. We always knew
that rats were tough little critters, and this completes the proof -
pound for pound, they can drink us under the table.

However, this MSDS is for liquid Tide, which didn't exist in the 1960s.
I wonder what the formula was back then? It will have had something
like 10% phosphorus in it.

If Tide failed we resorted to hot chromic acid, which could strip the
pavement off the street.

And dissolve stainless steel? I do recall the use of hot chromic acid.

Joe Gwinn