Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default VIDEO of cutting a thread on 4th axis of my Bridgeport Interact CNC mill with LinuxCNC

On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 13:42:55 -0700 (PDT), jon_banquer
wrote:

On Mar 23, 12:57*pm, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
jon_banquer fired this volley in news:5d8d934c-
:

Sponenburgh, one can't learn to be a decent machinist if they can't
learn to develop the skills to think their way out of difficult
situations on their own.

But he's not TRYING to be a 'decent machinist'. *I'm not even sure that's
in his top twenty priorities. *He's a used equipment dealer, earning a
living doing that, not doing machining.

Would you object to his questions if he stated himself to be a framing
carpenter, and just wanted to know how a particular metalworking
operation were done?

Lloyd

I object to *anyone* not developing the proper way to think so they
can diagnose and solve problems on their own without needing to be
constantly spoon fed like iggy does. Same applies to a moron like
SteveB.

I reject the ego driven approach that iggy uses. His ego driven
approach shows in how he has kill filed Precision Machinist because
SVL won't kiss his iggy's ass and spoon feed him. For years I fought
tooth and nail with SVL but I always read his posts and I always knew
that he was very gifted and mechanical.

You don't help someone by spoon feeding them, Lloyd. In fact, you do
them a lot of damage. I think someone like Ed Huntress has done
himself a lot of harm by placing too much emphasis on theory and not
enough on practical experience and learning to problem solve on his
own. Ed giving up on learning to shrink sheet metal and thinking it's
difficult is an example of something that should not have occurred and
should be corrected despite lack of interest on his part... if only
for the feeling of metal triumph. Ed Huntress gave up. That's never
acceptable in my world.

Hey, Jon, I explained that I was only interested in seeing how that
shrinking method worked. I'm not interested in making car bodies.
Besides, I have a LOT of experience with fiberglass and other
composites, working as a bonder and layup man for Ranger Yachts back
when I was a kid, and I'd definitely make a car body that way, if I
was going to make one.

But I'm not. I don't care about sheet-metal "triumph." I was just
curious, and I had my curiosity satisfied.

You seem to think that everyone should share your enthusiasms. I
don't. I care about other things. But that doesn't stop me from
fiddling around in my shop with things I'm curious about. I don't
expect to become an expert at those things, anymore than I expect to
become an expert at endocrinology. But I read as many 100 papers per
week on the subject when I was editing medical journals. It satisfied
a lot of curiosities, but don't expect me to operate on your pancreas.

Ed Huntress