Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Dishwasher liming (was Machine Gun Parts kits)

On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 12:37:28 -0400, Joe Gwinn
and others wrote:

I'm trying everything. Everything before the Alcojet first -- $35 for
four pounds?? That tilts my cheapskate meter, but if all else fails...

I have a box or two. It stores well, and is very effective.

One of the things I noticed when the detergents changed in ~2010 was
that coffee and tea cups developed a tightly adhering brown film that
even hand scrubbing didn't touch.

Alconox, the original lab detergent (which I first heard of while in
college), is intended for hand washing of labware, and so I tried it,
and noticed that the brown film peeled right off after a little
soaking.

http://tinyurl.com/dxau9av They don't give it away, do they?
$8-10 a pound, delivered.

Coffee and tea stains are still the waterloo of non-phosphate
detergents.

Alconox is also very good in ultrasonic cleaners.

I picked up a little ultrasonic in CA when I was there last year.
Vinegar is likely going to work for me, until proven inadequate.

What make and model of dishwasher do you have? I think I remember it
was a Bosch.

A buddy of mine worked in the appliance repair biz for a decade and
has made an oath to never buy a Bosch appliance. He said they break
at the tip of a hat and are expensive as hell to repair, with delays
for parts, etc. He really hates them. It surprised me. I've only
seen one and it was on when I was looking at it. I couldn't hear it!

--
In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant.
--Charles de Gaulle