Peter Andrews

Default Reasonable price for a replacement CH boiler?

"Hugo Nebula" wrote in message
My mother's central heating boiler is a bit on the old and
temperamental side (a bit like her), so I was happy that she went to
get a quote for a replacement. I was shocked, however, at the price
quoted by British Gas of £2,700 for a Potterton Promax. The work
quoted for is minimal, just replacing the boiler in it's existing
location, no alterations to the controls or the cylinder.

Unfortunately, my mother is from the old school of, "Well, if that's
the price the Gas Board have said, then that's what I have to pay",
and she's given a deposit. I intend to have words with the salesman,
but what would be regarded as a fair price for this work?
--
Hugo Nebula
"You know, I'd rather see this on TV,

A Google search reveals a Potterton Promax 24 HE costs about £750.00, so £2K
for installation looks a bit steep. My own experience recently for a CH
system was BG £10500 +VAT, local company £5800 including VAT. Guess who got
the job and indeed did a good job.

Peter.