Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul Hovnanian P.E. Paul Hovnanian P.E. is offline

Default Ballast - $53/lb

dpb wrote:

On 3/19/2013 12:29 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:

... My understanding is that the stuff is chemically toxic,
but not that harmful as an emitter of radiation....

Ingested, it's a chemical hazard to the kidney but unless very high
levels it has not shown to be very strongly detrimental--studies of
long-term workers has shown no association w/ low-level DU exposure and
adverse health effects.

U is an alpha-emitter so it is trivial to shield an external source for
radiation--a sheet of paper or two is plenty. It is a hazard if inhaled
in a very fine insoluble form that could remain in lungs for indefinite
period. But again, studies haven't shown any excess prevalence of lung
cancer in workers in places like Fernald, etc.

DU has been used from time to time for sailboat keel weights. Denser, so
lower cross section and displacement and less resulting drag. But most
racing regs have ruled against its use.

--
Paul Hovnanian
I had a dog that would chase anyone riding a bicycle.