Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Pounder[_2_] Mr Pounder[_2_] is offline

Default New House Problem #2: Indesit WIB111 Wash Machine - gunge in wash

"harry" wrote in message
On Mar 17, 2:08 pm, "Mr Pounder"
wrote:
"Java Jive" wrote in message

Thanks for the shower advice, will take a look shortly.

As described, the Indesit WIB111 washing machine that was left here in
the house is leaving brown gunge on my curtains. Sometimes the gunge
is in the form of little balls, sometimes flakes. They are generally
a mm or two in size, and may sometimes be scraped off with a finger
nail, but sometimes leaves a smear on the cloth.

It's a cold-fill only machine. The inlet hose comes straight off the
main, and by pointing it into and filling a sink, I've checked that
there isn't any gunge in the supply (thank heavens!).

Next I checked the pump outlet, but that all seems clear.

Next I checked the soap dispenser, and while that has obviously been
cleaned recently, and although there are one or two patches of algae,
they don't dislodge easily, and would not seem to account for the
amount of gunge, so I don't think they are the problem.

Any ideas?

Off to look at the shower now ...

Take a look at the door seal. Sort of pull the seal open and have a look
at
the inner seal.
Chances are you will find horrible smelly gunge in there.

Yes, that's the likely one.
You need torun your machine on high temp wash now and then to stop
this.

This did not work for us. Kitchen cleaner and plenty of tea towels did the
job.
There is plenty on this topic on the interweb.