Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Help! Bandsaw blade guides

On Mar 16, 2:27*pm, wrote:
I recently purchased a DoALL bandsaw that had been converted long ago
from a band filer. When the new guides were fitted the upper guides
were mounted upside down. These are the typical guides that are angled
at the ends and when installed make a VEE shaped assembly. The point
of the VEE should be pointing up but these guides instead have the VEE
pointing down. Because of this chips get caught in the valley of the
VEE and are dragged by the saw blade into the tiny gap between the
blade and the guide. The blade is galled because of this. Furthermore,
the guides are only 3/8" thick and the saw takes 3/4" blades. So I am
going to change guides and I don't know which guides would be the
best. I will not be using roller guides. But there are new blade
guides made from different materials available now and I would
appreciate advice on which would be best.
Thanks,
Eric

My comments are free and maybe only worth what you pay. They are not
based on experience.

I would think the guides are oriented correctly , but maybe not big
enough.

I would try using UHMW poly for the guides. It is cheap. Grainger
and MSC both carry it. It is very abrasive resistant and very slick
too. i would expect any chips would embed in the plastic and not gall
the blade. Do not know if guides made of UHMW poly are available, but
should be easy to make guides from raw stock.

Dan