Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
amdx[_2_] amdx[_2_] is offline

Default Speaking of Windows 7

On 3/15/2013 7:56 PM, Robert Baer wrote:
flipper wrote:
On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 21:19:46 -0800, Robert Baer
wrote:

My wild guess is that since the OS is "wired" to run audio thru the
MB's ASIC speakers (see the Device Manager for proof), then you ain't
gonna get audio out of any other hardware.
It isn't like the BIOS can re-direct audio like (on some MBs) one can
re-direct video from MB to graphics card.

I don't know what in Device Manager gave you that impression but audio
is not 'wired' to anything or else, as just one example, my bluetooth
headset wouldn't get audio, and it certainly does.

Windows 7 does do some 'intelligent' routing, though. Again using my
bluetooth headset as an example, it is the default 'communications'
device so when using VOIP that audio goes to it but 'system sounds' do
not. However, if I set it to the default audio device everything goes
through it instead of the speakers, so they are clearly not 'wired' to
audio.

Most, if not all, media players also let you select which device to
use so it is entirely possible to play a song through one and a
different song, using a second media player, through another all at
the same time. I just did it sending Windows Media Player to my
bluetooth and Winamp to the desktop speakers. Or I could send things
to the SPDIF output or make any of them the default device.

What I haven't been able to do is send the same thing simultaneously
to two different devices, which is what the OP wanted to accomplish.

So the "wiring" i mentioned has been expanded some in the last 5 years.
Now if this was an Altair or similar computer, a little added wiring
would do the job - one could even add a register for programming every
possible combination of (say) 8 outputs.
A little hard to crawl into these motherboard ASICs ..

Yes, Believe I can do that on my sound card, but you need to plug into
the jack then a pop up box appears and allows setting the function, but
I don't want start a new learning situation.
I see a box that allows me to have front and rear outputs play two
different streams.