Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Speaking of Windows 7

I just hooked up my HDMI TV to my computer.
I have the Video working fine with output on the
computer monitor and the HDMI tv simultaneously.

I can only get audio from the line out -OR-
through the HDMI, but not both.

Is it possible to have both hot at the same time?
Mikek
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 18:17:41 -0500, amdx
wrote:

I just hooked up my HDMI TV to my computer.
I have the Video working fine with output on the
computer monitor and the HDMI tv simultaneously.

I can only get audio from the line out -OR-
through the HDMI, but not both.

Is it possible to have both hot at the same time?
Mikek

Depends on the TV (or other types of source). My STB won't support
both.

My fume is that the Cisco STB send HDMI video... nicely, but DOESN'T
converse HDMI-CEC :-(

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

I just hooked up my HDMI TV to my computer.
I have the Video working fine with output on the
computer monitor and the HDMI tv simultaneously.

I can only get audio from the line out -OR-
through the HDMI, but not both.

Is it possible to have both hot at the same time?
Mikek

Depends on the TV (or other types of source). My STB won't support
both.

My fume is that the Cisco STB send HDMI video... nicely, but DOESN'T
converse HDMI-CEC :-(

...Jim Thompson

Ok I wasn't clear, hmm.. I think I was.

"I just hooked up my HDMI TV to my computer."

I can't get the computer to output audio on the line out and the HDMI
simultaneously.

Thanks, Mikek

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

I just hooked up my HDMI TV to my computer.
I have the Video working fine with output on the
computer monitor and the HDMI tv simultaneously.

I can only get audio from the line out -OR-
through the HDMI, but not both.

Is it possible to have both hot at the same time?
Mikek

Depends on the TV (or other types of source). My STB won't support
both.

My fume is that the Cisco STB send HDMI video... nicely, but DOESN'T
converse HDMI-CEC :-(

...Jim Thompson

Ok I wasn't clear, hmm.. I think I was.

"I just hooked up my HDMI TV to my computer."

I can't get the computer to output audio on the line out and the HDMI
simultaneously.

Thanks, Mikek

Oh? The other way around... your PC is the source of HDMI?

I've never seen one of those, but then I'm still running Win2K and Win
XP on old hardware ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"amdx" wrote in message
I just hooked up my HDMI TV to my computer.
I have the Video working fine with output on the
computer monitor and the HDMI tv simultaneously.

I can only get audio from the line out -OR-
through the HDMI, but not both.

Is it possible to have both hot at the same time?
Mikek

Whats the HDMI hardware and Line out hardware?
It might be a DRM thing.

Cheer

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 3/14/2013 8:19 PM, Martin Riddle wrote:
"amdx" wrote in message
I just hooked up my HDMI TV to my computer.
I have the Video working fine with output on the
computer monitor and the HDMI tv simultaneously.

I can only get audio from the line out -OR-
through the HDMI, but not both.

Is it possible to have both hot at the same time?
Mikek

Whats the HDMI hardware and Line out hardware?
It might be a DRM thing.

Cheer

Video card

MSI N430GT-MD1GD3-OC/LP GeForce GT 430
-HDMI- (with audio out) mounted on video card

Motherboard

GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3 AM3+ AMD 970 motherboard
-Lineout- audio on motherboard

Thanks, Mikek

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"amdx" wrote in message
I just hooked up my HDMI TV to my computer.
I have the Video working fine with output on the
computer monitor and the HDMI tv simultaneously.

I can only get audio from the line out -OR-
through the HDMI, but not both.

Is it possible to have both hot at the same time?
Mikek

Whats the HDMI hardware and Line out hardware?
It might be a DRM thing.

Cheer

Video card

MSI N430GT-MD1GD3-OC/LP GeForce GT 430
-HDMI- (with audio out) mounted on video card

Motherboard

GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3 AM3+ AMD 970 motherboard
-Lineout- audio on motherboard

Thanks, Mikek

My wild guess is that since the OS is "wired" to run audio thru the
MB's ASIC speakers (see the Device Manager for proof), then you ain't
gonna get audio out of any other hardware.
It isn't like the BIOS can re-direct audio like (on some MBs) one can
re-direct video from MB to graphics card.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"amdx" wrote in message
[...]

I don't want to sound argumentative, and I'm sure I don't understand
what is happening, but, in Device Manager I can redirect the audio from
the MOBO lineout to the graphics card HDMI out.
What I can't do is have audio out of both simultaneously.
If I can get that to work, I won't need to enter the computer area
make 8 clicks to switch the audio to the HDMI cable then go to the TV room.

Through all this poking around in the control panel, I found a second
route to switch the audio and the video. There are separate categories
for Nvidia Control Panel and Realtek HD Audio Manager. This may be
helpful, sometimes when I enter "Manage Audio Devices" the line I want
is not high lighted, and I haven't figured out what I finally click
to get it highlighted so I can use it.

I also see my graphics card is HDCP-capable, huh?
So after a google search, HDCP- High Definition Content Protection,
And that means," If you use an HTPC and want to ensure dual use of
your new flat panel display, look for HDCP compatibility."
Back to google, HTPC- Home Theatre Personal Computer.

I think I'll send an email to my MoBo manufacturer.

Thank, Mikek

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

I just hooked up my HDMI TV to my computer.
I have the Video working fine with output on the
computer monitor and the HDMI tv simultaneously.

I can only get audio from the line out -OR-
through the HDMI, but not both.

Is it possible to have both hot at the same time?
Mikek

I don't really know because I can't get sound through HDMI at all (DVI
to HDMI cable) but it could be that, for some reason, Windows is
trying to do it's 'automatic selection' thing on yours. Try right
clicking on your notification area speaker (audio) icon and select
"Volume control options." Then put a check in each device so they show
in the volume control whether being used, or not. Then open your
volume mixer and see if you can select both devices for output.

I'll get home in a couple hours, and look at trying this.
Thanks, Mikek
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

flipper wrote:
On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 21:19:46 -0800, Robert Baer
wrote:

My wild guess is that since the OS is "wired" to run audio thru the
MB's ASIC speakers (see the Device Manager for proof), then you ain't
gonna get audio out of any other hardware.
It isn't like the BIOS can re-direct audio like (on some MBs) one can
re-direct video from MB to graphics card.

I don't know what in Device Manager gave you that impression but audio
is not 'wired' to anything or else, as just one example, my bluetooth
headset wouldn't get audio, and it certainly does.

Windows 7 does do some 'intelligent' routing, though. Again using my
bluetooth headset as an example, it is the default 'communications'
device so when using VOIP that audio goes to it but 'system sounds' do
not. However, if I set it to the default audio device everything goes
through it instead of the speakers, so they are clearly not 'wired' to
audio.

Most, if not all, media players also let you select which device to
use so it is entirely possible to play a song through one and a
different song, using a second media player, through another all at
the same time. I just did it sending Windows Media Player to my
bluetooth and Winamp to the desktop speakers. Or I could send things
to the SPDIF output or make any of them the default device.

What I haven't been able to do is send the same thing simultaneously
to two different devices, which is what the OP wanted to accomplish.

So the "wiring" i mentioned has been expanded some in the last 5 years.
Now if this was an Altair or similar computer, a little added wiring
would do the job - one could even add a register for programming every
possible combination of (say) 8 outputs.
A little hard to crawl into these motherboard ASICs ..

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

Yes, Believe I can do that on my sound card, but you need to plug into
the jack then a pop up box appears and allows setting the function, but
I don't want start a new learning situation.
I see a box that allows me to have front and rear outputs play two
different streams.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

I just hooked up my HDMI TV to my computer.
I have the Video working fine with output on the
computer monitor and the HDMI tv simultaneously.

I can only get audio from the line out -OR-
through the HDMI, but not both.

Is it possible to have both hot at the same time?
Mikek

I don't really know because I can't get sound through HDMI at all (DVI
to HDMI cable) but it could be that, for some reason, Windows is
trying to do it's 'automatic selection' thing on yours.

Try right
clicking on your notification area speaker (audio) icon and select
"Volume control options." Then put a check in each device so they show
in the volume control whether being used, or not. Then open your
volume mixer and see if you can select both devices for output.

I did that, and I can select both, but I still needed to go in
through control panel and pick one for audio out. Doesn't make sense,
so I'll work on it more when I get time.
Another oddity, my video reverts back to computer only after I don't
use it, one time it didn't recognize the HDMI cable was plugged in so I
had to crawl under the desk and unplug and plug back in, then change to
duplicate monitor.
So far not a simple setup, but a couple of minutes and we watched
several youtube music videos and a few Big Bang Blooper shows.
Ya know, that Kelly Cuoco looks like a lot of fun!
Mikek
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

Didn't this come up recently and someone talk about a simple Desktop
utility to switch audi settings?

Another oddity, my video reverts back to computer only after I don't
use it, one time it didn't recognize the HDMI cable was plugged in so I
had to crawl under the desk and unplug and plug back in, then change to
duplicate monitor.
So far not a simple setup, but a couple of minutes and we watched
several youtube music videos and a few Big Bang Blooper shows.
Ya know, that Kelly Cuoco looks like a lot of fun!

Her character Penny is great, and she gets a lot of the best lines on
the show.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

Check out some of the youtube bloopers, she look like she is having a
great time.
Mikek
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

I watched them a few months ago, and downloaded them.

enough left over to pay them.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Fri, 15 Mar 2013 20:29:28 -0500, flipper wrote:

What I haven't been able to do is send the same thing simultaneously
to two different devices, which is what the OP wanted to accomplish.

So the "wiring" i mentioned has been expanded some in the last 5 years.

Actually, on the surface things seem to have gone 'backwards' since in
XP you COULD drive two outputs with the same audio source. It was, for
some reason, removed in Vista forward (perhaps due to having to
support both analog and digital audio streams as well as 2, 4.1, 5.1,
7.1 speaker setups, Digital Dolby, DTS, et al,, which makes them
essentially incompatible without extensive on the fly
conversion/mixing).

Now if this was an Altair or similar computer, a little added wiring
would do the job - one could even add a register for programming every
possible combination of (say) 8 outputs.
A little hard to crawl into these motherboard ASICs ..

Windows audio has never gone through a motherboard ASIC, unless you're
calling an on-board 'sound card' one, and the little speaker connected
there is just for the Mobo to make error beeps since, at that point,
the boot process hasn't even begun and there's no 'Windows' to run
anything.

Now, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyy back in the Windows 3.1 days
there was a primitive little program, not a part of Windows, that
could 'pulse' the Mobo speaker to make sounds for those who did not
have a sound card but it was barely usable. Somewhere around here I've
still got an ancient Compaq notebook with no sound card that I
installed that on so my 'Star Trek' screen saver could make noise but
it sounded like coming from a Galaxy far far away by string and tin
can.

However, the problem the OP has is unrelated to the 'sound card'
because he has TWO separate sound devices, one the sound card and the
other HDMI, he's trying to route sound to simultaneously. One is
analog and the other digital so no amount of 'wiring' would work.

I am quite surprised that you persist in the idea that there is any analog
audio in a computer. Analog audio presented to any sound card (or chip)
is digital post haste and stays that way until just before the line or
speaker outputs. It is still digital if the output is SPDIF or HDMI.

?-)