Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default How do you attach romex to an outdoor outlet box mounted to brick?

On 3/13/2013 5:57 PM, John Grabowski wrote:
I am installing an outlet on the outside of my brick house and I have
already run the romex to the outside by drilling a 1/2" hole through
the brick. I am trying to figure out how would I attach the romex to
the box. If I used a regular NM clamp, I would need to make the hole
in the brick a lot bigger, like an inch or so diameter, so the box
would sit flush against the brick, and so the clamp would fit inside
the 1 inch hole.
Is there another way to do this? Do I even need to secure the romex to
the box? Or can I secure it from inside the house before it enters the
hole to go outside and just caulk it or use GreatStuff to seal it?

*Use a Romex button type connector from Arlington Industries. Trim
about 1/8" - 3/16" off with diagonal pliers and it will fit into the
threaded opening. Stuff the hole with duct seal before mounting the
box. Caulk three sides of the box and the cover.

I've been doing exactly that, since I first discovered Arlington
buttons. I always feel like I'm cheating a bit, but at the end of the
day, it's such a better job, and no sharp edges of the box or the
Romex connector cutting into the cable.

*CONFESSIONS OF AN ELECTRICIAN: I got the idea of cutting the button
from you Roy. You mentioned it in an older post. Before I would just
jam them into a threaded hole. Now after nipping a little off they
fit perfectly. Thanks for the tip.

You know John, my understanding of Arlington Industries, is that they
were created by electricians to solve these kinds of problems that we
routinely have to deal with. That said, they need to come up with a
threaded version of the button.