Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do you attach romex to an outdoor outlet box mounted to brick?

I am installing an outlet on the outside of my brick house and I have
already run the romex to the outside by drilling a 1/2" hole through
the brick. I am trying to figure out how would I attach the romex to
the box. If I used a regular NM clamp, I would need to make the hole
in the brick a lot bigger, like an inch or so diameter, so the box
would sit flush against the brick, and so the clamp would fit inside
the 1 inch hole.
Is there another way to do this? Do I even need to secure the romex to
the box? Or can I secure it from inside the house before it enters the
hole to go outside and just caulk it or use GreatStuff to seal it?
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Mikepier" wrote in message
I am installing an outlet on the outside of my brick house and I have
already run the romex to the outside by drilling a 1/2" hole through
the brick. I am trying to figure out how would I attach the romex to
the box. If I used a regular NM clamp, I would need to make the hole
in the brick a lot bigger, like an inch or so diameter, so the box
would sit flush against the brick, and so the clamp would fit inside
the 1 inch hole.
Is there another way to do this? Do I even need to secure the romex to
the box? Or can I secure it from inside the house before it enters the
hole to go outside and just caulk it or use GreatStuff to seal it?

What type of box are you using, it should be a waterproof box. These
normally come with a threaded hole, which requires a male threaded clamp or
conduit connector. 1/2" hole will allow nothing attached to the box to be
used, use a cold chisel to enlarge the hole to fit whatever clamp you are
using.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, 13 March 2013 09:46:53 UTC-4, Mikepier wrote:
I am installing an outlet on the outside of my brick house and I have
already run the romex to the outside by drilling a 1/2" hole through
the brick. I am trying to figure out how would I attach the romex to
the box. If I used a regular NM clamp, I would need to make the hole
in the brick a lot bigger, like an inch or so diameter, so the box
would sit flush against the brick, and so the clamp would fit inside
the 1 inch hole.

Is there another way to do this? Do I even need to secure the romex to
the box? Or can I secure it from inside the house before it enters the
hole to go outside and just caulk it or use GreatStuff to seal it?

I do what you say in the last paragraph. Run the romex straight into the hole in the back of the box, and staple it as close to the hole as you can inside the house, so nothing can catch the romex and pull it back. Works for me.

An alternative would be to enlarge the hole behind the box to fit an external cable clamp, and then the romex would need enough slack so that you could install the clamp, tighten it, then put the box on the wall. I don't think this is the done thing but hey, maybe an inspector would want to see that..

Or, run the romex on the wall surface into one of the side or bottom holes on the box. But that would require outdoor-rated cable or a suitable conduit and it doesn't look as nice; but it's all you can do if you want the outlet where you have no access straight from inside.

As I'm sure you know, this should be an outdoor box with a while-in-use cover. These are ubiquitous at the big box stores. All the ones I've seen have a hole centered in the back and they come with plugs to close up the unused holes in the sides.

I'd caulk or seal the top and sides of the box to keep weather out of the box and the wall. As for sealing around the hole itself, I've always been worried about what effect the caulk would have on the romex sheath. I've seen firestop rated for contact with romex but I've never seen caulking or sealant say it's ok. If the box is closed up right, mounted tight to the wall and caulked top and sides, I would not personally worry about the hole. Possibly that's not the best approach.

Chip C
Toronto

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 13, 10:37*am, "EXT" wrote:
"Mikepier" wrote in message

[...]

There is also the additonal matter of how you connect
the clamp, tighten the screws on it, when it's going to be
inside the hole. If you're installing it in the normal direction,
ie starting from the other end and working out, that usually
isn't trivial.

I think you are correct that it is supposed to have a clamp.
But I've seen work done by electricians where no clamp
is used. I just did one myself for an AC disconnect and it
passed inspection. I had it stapled inside, close to where
it exited the rim joist. That's how the existing one was done
and how I've seen it done in new construction here. If it's
good enough for them.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 6:46:53 AM UTC-7, Mikepier wrote:
I am installing an outlet on the outside of my brick house and I have

already run the romex to the outside by drilling a 1/2" hole through

the brick. I am trying to figure out how would I attach the romex to

the box. If I used a regular NM clamp, I would need to make the hole

in the brick a lot bigger, like an inch or so diameter, so the box

would sit flush against the brick, and so the clamp would fit inside

the 1 inch hole.

Is there another way to do this? Do I even need to secure the romex to

the box? Or can I secure it from inside the house before it enters the

hole to go outside and just caulk it or use GreatStuff to seal it?

Can't have Romex exposed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 13, 8:08*am, wrote:
On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 6:46:53 AM UTC-7, Mikepier wrote:
I am installing an outlet on the outside of my brick *house and I have

already run the romex to the outside by drilling a 1/2" hole through

the brick. I am trying to figure out how would I attach the romex to

the box. If I used a regular NM clamp, I would need to make the hole

in the brick a lot bigger, like an inch or so diameter, so the box

would sit flush against the brick, and so the clamp would fit inside

the 1 inch hole.

Is there another way to do this? Do I even need to secure the romex to

the box? Or can I secure it from inside the house before it enters the

hole to go outside and just caulk it or use GreatStuff to seal it?

Can't have Romex exposed.

Exactly. I'm surprised noone mentioned that awkward fact in the
wiring codes. It has to be in conduit of some sort, usually in that
"spiral wrapped metal" stuf (?BX?).

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 13, 11:17*am, Harry K wrote:
On Mar 13, 8:08*am, wrote:

[...]

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

It's not really exposed if it comes out of a hole in the
brick and into the back of box. That's what they routinely
do with AC disconnects and such here passing through
wood.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 13, 8:08*am, wrote:

[...]

wood.- Hide quoted text -

This is a weatherproof box with threaded holes.

One idea I had was put the clamp inside the box. Obviously frst I
would run the romex through the box, attach the romex to the clamp,
tighten the 2 screws on the clamp, then thread the clamp onto the box
until it is tight. Then finally attach the box to the wall. Is this ok?
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Mikepier" wrote in message

On Mar 13, 8:08 am, wrote:

[...]

Probably, if it will work. The threading is tapered pipe threads, it "may"
be difficult to get the clamp threaded from the inside, you will have to try
it first. Some boxes have a "stop" at the bottom of the threads, check to
see if it is in the way for working from the inside. Use the shallowest
clamps you can find so they don't interfere with the receptacle or GFI that
is to go into the box.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I am installing an outlet on the outside of my brick house and I have
already run the romex to the outside by drilling a 1/2" hole through
the brick. I am trying to figure out how would I attach the romex to
the box. If I used a regular NM clamp, I would need to make the hole
in the brick a lot bigger, like an inch or so diameter, so the box
would sit flush against the brick, and so the clamp would fit inside
the 1 inch hole.
Is there another way to do this? Do I even need to secure the romex to
the box? Or can I secure it from inside the house before it enters the
hole to go outside and just caulk it or use GreatStuff to seal it?

*Use a Romex button type connector from Arlington Industries. Trim about
1/8" - 3/16" off with diagonal pliers and it will fit into the threaded
opening. Stuff the hole with duct seal before mounting the box. Caulk
three sides of the box and the cover.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/13/2013 2:33 PM, John Grabowski wrote:
[...]

I've been doing exactly that, since I first discovered Arlington
buttons. I always feel like I'm cheating a bit, but at the end of the
day, it's such a better job, and no sharp edges of the box or the Romex
connector cutting into the cable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/13/2013 12:15 PM, Mikepier wrote:

On Mar 13, 8:08 am, wrote:
[...]

You wouldn't have enough room inside a standard depth FS box. You'd need
a deep one, then combine that with the required "in use" cover, and your
outlet would be sticking six inches off the brick.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 09:15:03 -0700 (PDT), Mikepier
wrote:

One idea I had was put the clamp inside the box. Obviously frst I
would run the romex through the box, attach the romex to the clamp,
tighten the 2 screws on the clamp, then thread the clamp onto the box
until it is tight. Then finally attach the box to the wall. Is this ok?

I put a GFCI outlet in a stucco column we built. Screwed the clamp
inside the box on the backside hole, used on offset screwdriver to
tighten the screws after the wire was pulled through. Mounted the box
- done.

Offset Screwdriver:

http://www.metals4u.co.uk/resources/files/SL630021.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 12:59:44 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

*Caulk
three sides of the box and the cover.

Which three sides? ;-)

The sunny side, the leeward side and the windy side. G

The shady side should be okay. Maybe drill a hole in the bottom to let
any possible water drip...
Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
[...]

I did the same thing a few years ago for the one and only time that I
encountered the same situation as the OP and had to decide what to do.

Here's a link showing an "Arlington button":

http://www.amazon.com/Arlington-NM94.../dp/B00422M1X6 .

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

*CONFESSIONS OF AN ELECTRICIAN: I got the idea of cutting the button from
you Roy. You mentioned it in an older post. Before I would just jam them
into a threaded hole. Now after nipping a little off they fit perfectly.
Thanks for the tip.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Mikepier wrote:
I am installing an outlet on the outside of my brick house and I have
already run the romex to the outside by drilling a 1/2" hole through
the brick. I am trying to figure out how would I attach the romex to
the box. If I used a regular NM clamp, I would need to make the hole
in the brick a lot bigger, like an inch or so diameter, so the box
would sit flush against the brick, and so the clamp would fit inside
the 1 inch hole.
Is there another way to do this? Do I even need to secure the romex to
the box? Or can I secure it from inside the house before it enters the
hole to go outside and just caulk it or use GreatStuff to seal it?

No idea if it's code compliant or not but I've sometimes put the clamp
on inside-out, with the clamp screw inside the box. Tigten it on to the wire
first, then set the clamp in the knock-out hole.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/13/2013 5:57 PM, John Grabowski wrote:
[...]

You know John, my understanding of Arlington Industries, is that they
were created by electricians to solve these kinds of problems that we
routinely have to deal with. That said, they need to come up with a
threaded version of the button.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have those Arlington buttons, but they would not fit. Now I know I
have to trim them first, I'll give it a shot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The romex clamp is to keep the wire from rubbing the shrap edge of the knock
out hole. Since the wall hole lines up with the box hole, it's not gonna
rub. No clamp needed, in my estimation.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Mikepier" wrote in message

One idea I had was put the clamp inside the box. Obviously frst I
would run the romex through the box, attach the romex to the clamp,
tighten the 2 screws on the clamp, then thread the clamp onto the box
until it is tight. Then finally attach the box to the wall. Is this ok?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Inside
Outside
Other Side

(another wise ass!)

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

*Use a Romex button type connector from Arlington Industries. Trim about
1/8" - 3/16" off with diagonal pliers and it will fit into the threaded
opening. Stuff the hole with duct seal before mounting the box. Caulk
three sides of the box and the cover.

Which three sides? ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It's not really exposed if it comes out of a hole in the
brick and into the back of box. *That's what they routinely
do with AC disconnects and such here passing through
wood.- Hide quoted text -

This is a weatherproof box with threaded holes.

One idea I had was put the clamp inside the box. Obviously frst I
would run the romex through the box, attach the romex to the clamp,
tighten the 2 screws on the clamp, then thread the clamp onto the box
until it is tight. Then finally attach the box to the wall. Is this ok?

I've done this numerous times with those external boxes and it works
fine. As long as the box is deep enough it will work fine.

I never understood why they dont come up with a clamp that is made for
this application, that dont require such a large hole in the wall.

I always put a bead of silicone caulk around all external boxes after
it's mounted. That will keep water out of the box, because otherwise it
can follow the romex into the box regardless how the clamp is installed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 16:37:26 -0400, RBM wrote:

*Use a Romex button type connector from Arlington Industries. Trim
about 1/8" - 3/16" off with diagonal pliers and it will fit into the
threaded opening. Stuff the hole with duct seal before mounting the
box. Caulk three sides of the box and the cover.

I've been doing exactly that, since I first discovered Arlington
buttons. I always feel like I'm cheating a bit, but at the end of the
day, it's such a better job, and no sharp edges of the box or the Romex
connector cutting into the cable.

What is an Arlington Button?
Please post a web link for a photo.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 13, 8:00*pm, wrote:
On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 16:37:26 -0400, RBM wrote:
*Use a Romex button type connector from Arlington Industries. Trim
about 1/8" - 3/16" off with diagonal pliers and it will fit into the
threaded opening. *Stuff the hole with duct seal before mounting the
box. *Caulk three sides of the box and the cover.

I've been doing exactly that, since I first discovered Arlington
buttons. I always feel like I'm cheating a bit, but at the end of the
day, it's such a better job, and no sharp edges of the box or the Romex
connector cutting into the cable.

What is an Arlington Button?
Please post a web link for a photo.

google is your friend
Posted to alt.home.repair

What is an Arlington Button?
Please post a web link for a photo.

Look at a couple of posts above, there is a link.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 18:30:54 -0700 (PDT), Mikepier
wrote:

What is an Arlington Button?
Please post a web link for a photo.

Look at a couple of posts above, there is a link.

Yep, I found that right after I posted this....

It looks like a perfect solution.