Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_3_] TomR[_3_] is offline

Default How do you attach romex to an outdoor outlet box mounted to brick?

RBM wrote:
On 3/13/2013 2:33 PM, John Grabowski wrote:
I am installing an outlet on the outside of my brick house and I
have already run the romex to the outside by drilling a 1/2" hole
through the brick. I am trying to figure out how would I attach the
romex to the box. If I used a regular NM clamp, I would need to
make the hole in the brick a lot bigger, like an inch or so
diameter, so the box would sit flush against the brick, and so the
clamp would fit inside the 1 inch hole.
Is there another way to do this? Do I even need to secure the romex
to the box? Or can I secure it from inside the house before it
enters the hole to go outside and just caulk it or use GreatStuff
to seal it?

*Use a Romex button type connector from Arlington Industries. Trim
about 1/8" - 3/16" off with diagonal pliers and it will fit into the
threaded opening. Stuff the hole with duct seal before mounting the
box. Caulk three sides of the box and the cover.

I've been doing exactly that, since I first discovered Arlington
buttons. I always feel like I'm cheating a bit, but at the end of the
day, it's such a better job, and no sharp edges of the box or the
Romex connector cutting into the cable.

I did the same thing a few years ago for the one and only time that I
encountered the same situation as the OP and had to decide what to do.

Here's a link showing an "Arlington button":

http://www.amazon.com/Arlington-NM94.../dp/B00422M1X6 .