Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default How do you attach romex to an outdoor outlet box mounted to brick?

On 3/13/2013 12:15 PM, Mikepier wrote:
On Mar 13, 11:36 am, "
wrote:
On Mar 13, 11:17 am, Harry K wrote:

On Mar 13, 8:08 am, wrote:
On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 6:46:53 AM UTC-7, Mikepier wrote:
I am installing an outlet on the outside of my brick house and I have
already run the romex to the outside by drilling a 1/2" hole through
the brick. I am trying to figure out how would I attach the romex to
the box. If I used a regular NM clamp, I would need to make the hole
in the brick a lot bigger, like an inch or so diameter, so the box
would sit flush against the brick, and so the clamp would fit inside
the 1 inch hole.
Is there another way to do this? Do I even need to secure the romex to
the box? Or can I secure it from inside the house before it enters the
hole to go outside and just caulk it or use GreatStuff to seal it?
Can't have Romex exposed.
Exactly. I'm surprised noone mentioned that awkward fact in the
wiring codes. It has to be in conduit of some sort, usually in that
"spiral wrapped metal" stuf (?BX?).
Harry K- Hide quoted text -

It's not really exposed if it comes out of a hole in the
brick and into the back of box. That's what they routinely
do with AC disconnects and such here passing through
wood.- Hide quoted text -

This is a weatherproof box with threaded holes.

One idea I had was put the clamp inside the box. Obviously frst I
would run the romex through the box, attach the romex to the clamp,
tighten the 2 screws on the clamp, then thread the clamp onto the box
until it is tight. Then finally attach the box to the wall. Is this ok?

You wouldn't have enough room inside a standard depth FS box. You'd need
a deep one, then combine that with the required "in use" cover, and your
outlet would be sticking six inches off the brick.