Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default How do you attach romex to an outdoor outlet box mounted to brick?

"Mikepier" wrote in message
On Mar 13, 11:36 am, "
wrote:
On Mar 13, 11:17 am, Harry K wrote:

On Mar 13, 8:08 am, wrote:

On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 6:46:53 AM UTC-7, Mikepier wrote:
I am installing an outlet on the outside of my brick house and I
have

already run the romex to the outside by drilling a 1/2" hole
through

the brick. I am trying to figure out how would I attach the romex

the box. If I used a regular NM clamp, I would need to make the
hole

in the brick a lot bigger, like an inch or so diameter, so the box

would sit flush against the brick, and so the clamp would fit
inside

the 1 inch hole.

Is there another way to do this? Do I even need to secure the romex

the box? Or can I secure it from inside the house before it enters
the

hole to go outside and just caulk it or use GreatStuff to seal it?

Can't have Romex exposed.

Exactly. I'm surprised noone mentioned that awkward fact in the
wiring codes. It has to be in conduit of some sort, usually in that
"spiral wrapped metal" stuf (?BX?).

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

It's not really exposed if it comes out of a hole in the
brick and into the back of box. That's what they routinely
do with AC disconnects and such here passing through
wood.- Hide quoted text -

This is a weatherproof box with threaded holes.

One idea I had was put the clamp inside the box. Obviously frst I
would run the romex through the box, attach the romex to the clamp,
tighten the 2 screws on the clamp, then thread the clamp onto the box
until it is tight. Then finally attach the box to the wall. Is this ok?

Probably, if it will work. The threading is tapered pipe threads, it "may"
be difficult to get the clamp threaded from the inside, you will have to try
it first. Some boxes have a "stop" at the bottom of the threads, check to
see if it is in the way for working from the inside. Use the shallowest
clamps you can find so they don't interfere with the receptacle or GFI that
is to go into the box.