Posted to alt.home.repair
Mikepier Mikepier is offline

Default How do you attach romex to an outdoor outlet box mounted to brick?

On Mar 13, 11:36*am, "
wrote:
On Mar 13, 11:17*am, Harry K wrote:

On Mar 13, 8:08*am, wrote:

On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 6:46:53 AM UTC-7, Mikepier wrote:
I am installing an outlet on the outside of my brick *house and I have

already run the romex to the outside by drilling a 1/2" hole through

the brick. I am trying to figure out how would I attach the romex to

the box. If I used a regular NM clamp, I would need to make the hole

in the brick a lot bigger, like an inch or so diameter, so the box

would sit flush against the brick, and so the clamp would fit inside

the 1 inch hole.

Is there another way to do this? Do I even need to secure the romex to

the box? Or can I secure it from inside the house before it enters the

hole to go outside and just caulk it or use GreatStuff to seal it?

Can't have Romex exposed.

Exactly. *I'm surprised noone mentioned that awkward fact in the
wiring codes. *It has to be in conduit of some sort, usually in that
"spiral wrapped metal" stuf (?BX?).

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

It's not really exposed if it comes out of a hole in the
brick and into the back of box. *That's what they routinely
do with AC disconnects and such here passing through
wood.- Hide quoted text -

This is a weatherproof box with threaded holes.

One idea I had was put the clamp inside the box. Obviously frst I
would run the romex through the box, attach the romex to the clamp,
tighten the 2 screws on the clamp, then thread the clamp onto the box
until it is tight. Then finally attach the box to the wall. Is this ok?