Posted to alt.home.repair
Chip C Chip C is offline

Default How do you attach romex to an outdoor outlet box mounted to brick?

On Wednesday, 13 March 2013 09:46:53 UTC-4, Mikepier wrote:
I am installing an outlet on the outside of my brick house and I have
already run the romex to the outside by drilling a 1/2" hole through
the brick. I am trying to figure out how would I attach the romex to
the box. If I used a regular NM clamp, I would need to make the hole
in the brick a lot bigger, like an inch or so diameter, so the box
would sit flush against the brick, and so the clamp would fit inside
the 1 inch hole.

Is there another way to do this? Do I even need to secure the romex to
the box? Or can I secure it from inside the house before it enters the
hole to go outside and just caulk it or use GreatStuff to seal it?

I do what you say in the last paragraph. Run the romex straight into the hole in the back of the box, and staple it as close to the hole as you can inside the house, so nothing can catch the romex and pull it back. Works for me.

An alternative would be to enlarge the hole behind the box to fit an external cable clamp, and then the romex would need enough slack so that you could install the clamp, tighten it, then put the box on the wall. I don't think this is the done thing but hey, maybe an inspector would want to see that..

Or, run the romex on the wall surface into one of the side or bottom holes on the box. But that would require outdoor-rated cable or a suitable conduit and it doesn't look as nice; but it's all you can do if you want the outlet where you have no access straight from inside.

As I'm sure you know, this should be an outdoor box with a while-in-use cover. These are ubiquitous at the big box stores. All the ones I've seen have a hole centered in the back and they come with plugs to close up the unused holes in the sides.

I'd caulk or seal the top and sides of the box to keep weather out of the box and the wall. As for sealing around the hole itself, I've always been worried about what effect the caulk would have on the romex sheath. I've seen firestop rated for contact with romex but I've never seen caulking or sealant say it's ok. If the box is closed up right, mounted tight to the wall and caulked top and sides, I would not personally worry about the hole. Possibly that's not the best approach.

Chip C
Toronto