Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Metalworking

Brian Lawson wrote:

On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 10:12:55 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

Ignoramus11594 wrote:

Pete, this mill should be easy to convert, it is very straightforward
in operation. Not sure how easy it would be to mount an encoder on the
spindle, mechanically, this may be an issue.

Yep, no easy place for an encoder, but given the large size it would
seem there should be room to sneak something in. I loaded up LinuxCNC
last night and was surprised at the continued lack of UI refinement, I
would have thought in the last half dozen years it would have improved.
I've got some run caps on order to build up a 14HP RPC with a motor I
have on hand, I may see what I can powerup for testing with the 3HP RPC
I use on my lathe this weekend.

Hey Pete,

Be afraid...be very afraid !!! I cooked up a pretty nice RPC, and the
standing/idling voltages got adjusted to some thing I think is quite
reasonable. It runs the Bridgeport,OK, and the surface grinder, but
when I hooked it to the 5HP CNC lathe...POP !!! Keeps blowing a
"control" fuse. On looking at the wiring, I note that the ONLY thing
that REQUIRES three phase is the spindle motor and the coolant pump.
Everything else is essentially single phase 220. These single phase
loads are connected to two legs, so the loads are "distributed" across
the supply to create a "balanced load". I think I should have just
hooked everything across the "hot" legs.

So, be afraid...be very afraid !! of hooking any part of the CNC that
is "electronic" to the RPC, no matter how good the balance looks.

Take care.

Good Luck.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

Yes, I will ensure that all the single phase loads are on the two "real"
supply legs and the manufactured leg only goes to the VFD and coolant
pump.