Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default O.T. Tornado Warning Device

On 3/9/2013 5:04 PM, Richard wrote:
On 3/9/2013 1:10 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
wrote in message

What makes you think that's even remotely likely to be so?
Lightning isn't at all necessarily indicative of tornadic
activity--certainly tornadoes are spawned from t-storms, but I'm
pretty sure it's news to the folks in Norman (NOAA severe weather
office) there's predictive capability in the lightning...

You are not looking for lightening!

That's "lightning" that flashes in the sky; "lightening" would be to
make something less heavy or dark.

Tornados create an electrical disturbance somewhere in the 55 megahertz
range, close to the frequency band assigned to channel 2.

Well, I didn't believe it when you posted it earlier and I don't believe
it now...the only reference I could find quickly was from

Tornado Alley : Monster Storms of the Great Plains: Monster Storms of
the Great Plains by Howard B. Bluestein Professor of Meteorology,
University of Oklahoma

He quotes the same verbiage identically but adds the following sentence
at the end of that paragraph and begins the next with the following--

"I don't understand why this should be so and don't believe it works."

"Weller claimed this system works because channel 2 operates at 55 MHz
and is closest to the frequency of what he calls a "tornado pulse." It
is not clear if this is actually the case. ... Obviously, the Weller
technique does not always work, and one should probably depend on the
more reliable tornado warnings issued by TV stations..."

I conclude it's basically hokum, and of course, one must still have an
old analog receiver (and even I as the old fogey I am just abandoned the
one here when the audio portion died).