Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default My Airplane display is noW on Display!

On 3/9/2013 12:12 PM, -MIKE- wrote: On 3/9/13 11:54 AM, Dave in Texas
wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message

As many of you will recall I built an airplane display for a company
that transports heavy cargo all over the world. My display is in Las
Vegas this week, who knows where after that.

Anyway it seems to blend in with the "Pro" commercially designed booth.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

PRO!

Dave in Texas

Definitely Pro. I have a friend who's done this for a living for quite a
while, while employed by another company and now, as owner of his own.
He specializes in museum displays and these kind of convention displays.

Thank you! It looked good in my garage. ;~) I was not sure how it
would look compared to the other pieces that it would be used with. I
think it works. At least they liked it enough to send me these pictures.

Leon, yours stands up in every aspect, with possibly one exception. In
his business, they usually only have a week or two to produce an entire
convention display. Of course, there's more than one guy doing it.

I recall the day before Thanksgiving sending the quote to them and I got
a go ahead a couple of hours later. I bought materials the following
Monday and the unit was completed before the end of the year. There
were bumps in the road that delayed getting started in earnest and there
was about a 10 day period that I had to wait for the airplanes to arrive
so that I could space them before proceeding to cut the angles holes for
the mounting posts and covering the top with laminate. I'm sure the
guys that do this for a living already have an inventory of materials
that are premade much like Ikea furniture. This set up appeared to be
that way. I do recall feed back when the cabinet I built was first
assembled with out my guidance. The response was, it's nice to have a
display that goes together like you would think it should and it only
take 10 minutes.

I put a lot of thought into the simplicity factor. There are 8 bolts
that are all on the outside of the cabinet and that is all that is
needed to hold everything in place. This does not count the actual
mounting of the airplanes to the tops of the posts. Add 2 set screws
for that. There are two shelves for storage inside behind the back
doors and the airplane mounting posts slide through the angled top and
index into the top shelf for stability.

Kudos to you, looks fantastic.

Thanks again!