Posted to rec.woodworking
Matt[_10_] Matt[_10_] is offline

Default OT -- Windows 8

On 3/8/2013 8:10 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:
Brought home a new laptop today with Windows 8 installed. First impression: they let a few nutjobs take over the design of this OS when the A-team was out to lunch. Nothing is intuitive. Simple things, like moving a file from one folder to another, require one to use Explorer. Even "my computer" no longer resides on the desktop. There are two interfaces -- the tiles version and one that kinda mimics the familiar XP version. The former is loaded with a lot of junk.

It's going to take me hours to get this machine set up -- hours that I could spend more enjoyably in the shop.

BTW, this is being written on my old machine, which needs to be returned to my employer come retirement date (May 3).

Larry

About a year ago I started thinking it was time to replace my old laptop
(Windows XP). I kept hearing negatives about the upcoming Win 8
(programming for 42 years gives me access to all sorts of goodie info),
so back in September I picked up an HP laptop with Win 7 on it. I feel
for those who are now having to deal with Win 8.

Matt