Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default My Airplane display is not on Display!

"John Grossbohlin" wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message ...

I have an old Remington Model 11 (Browning patent) 20 ga (which I got
when I was 11 years old); a 1950's era Browning A5, 12 ga; and the
Citori O&U (full and modified choke) 12ga, magnum chambered.

The Citori is my favorite ... like you, it has become an extension of my arms and eyes.

That said, I don't hunt much any longer, but I did more than my share of
dove, quail, duck and goose hunting for 50 years.

I did the below twice a year, with clients, for a good ten years ...
don't think it is even possible to do this any longer:

In South America they have dove hunts... I think the standard package is
two cases of shells per day but you can buy more!

I've thinned out the inventory... down to the two Brownings, a 20 gauge
S&W Gold Elite English stock, and a 28 gauge CZ Ringneck. The Gold Elite
is all I used the past two seasons... great woodcock and grouse gun where
action is fast in tight cover. I do better with the Citori on the
relatively slow flying pheasants in more open cover but the Gold Elite
carries so nicely I carried it for them too... missed a few though. ;~)

Amusingly I used the Gold Elite at the Boy Scout sporting clays
fundraiser last fall at Orvis Sandanona... worst score I ever got, a 50,
but that got me first place in the "beginner's category" which we
determined by the median score...! LOL That gun was totally out of place
amongst the 12 gauge O/Us but I was there to have fun with the Gold Elite
and I did. One of the trappers was giving me crap about shooting from a
low gun during warm up. When my team showed up at his station during the
shoot he started in again. He didn't say a word after I hit 5/6, from a
low gun at a difficult uphill, tight, fast station where many got 0-3.
That gun is made for that kind of shooting... those big slow 12 gauge
guns were handicapped there. ;~)

Sort of on topic... I'm working on a fitted case for the Gold Elite...
oak frame and exterior with a cherry interior. I made one but am not
crazy about it... it was a good learning experience though. I'm going to
strip the Brusso Quadrant Hinges and Gerstner leather handle and
compartment (drawer) pull and make another one.

Envy you the upland game shooting. The closest we have here to that
experience is Bob White quail in the Gulf Coast area. I used to load hay
bales for a neighbor farmer, all day in the hot summer sun, in exchange for
for the privilege of being able to hunt his acreage during quail season. I
grew up devouring the old "Field and Stream" mags and dreamed many a night
of pheasant and grouse hunting.

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)