Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_47_] Bill[_47_] is offline

Default OT -- Windows 8

Gramp's shop wrote:
Brought home a new laptop today with Windows 8 installed. First impression: they let a few nutjobs take over the design of this OS when the A-team was out to lunch. Nothing is intuitive. Simple things, like moving a file from one folder to another, require one to use Explorer. Even "my computer" no longer resides on the desktop. There are two interfaces -- the tiles version and one that kinda mimics the familiar XP version. The former is loaded with a lot of junk.

It's going to take me hours to get this machine set up -- hours that I could spend more enjoyably in the shop.

BTW, this is being written on my old machine, which needs to be returned to my employer come retirement date (May 3).

Larry

I appreciate your sharing your experience as I have been looking at
laptops. Windows7 is superior to the new one, huh? Does yours have a
touch screen?

Bill