Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard[_9_] Richard[_9_] is offline

Default O.T. Tornado Warning Device

There are millions of people who live in the Tornado belt. I want to
buy a Tornado warning device for my home. The National Weather service
delights in waking me up in the middle of the night if Tornado
conditions occur in the neighboring State.

Buy a better radio that only alerts for your area. Mine is a Midland
model.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/nwrsame.htm

In the "old days" one could mistune a TV set and detect tornadoes.

Tornados create an electrical disturbance somewhere in the 55 megahertz
range, close to the frequency band assigned to channel 2. With this
phenomenon in mind, Newton Weller, an electronics technician, has
devised the following method for using your TV set as a tornado warning
device.

Tune to channel 13 and turn the brightness control down to the point
where the image is nearly--not completely--black. Then turn to channel
2. Lightning will register as horizontal streaks on the screen. When the
picture becomes bright enough to be seen, or when the screen glows with
an even light, there's a tornado within 20 miles, and it's time to find
Toto and head for the basement.