Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Default mold forms on cords, knobs, and tool handles

On Thu, 7 Mar 2013 18:34:52 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

On Tue, 05 Mar 2013 09:47:28 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I took some more photos, but they were about the same as the others.
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/white-plastic-rot/
The particle sizes are too thick to get a decent photo due to the lack
of depth of field. I just wanted one that shows the plastic like shine,
that is characteristic of plastics, and not mold. I'll melt or set fire
to the stuff later this week.

Here is a closeup of one of my 'white encrusted' screwdriver handles:

Here is a smaller picture if that's too large:
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...0/12360594.jpg

What would you suggest I do to confirm the identity of the substance?

Scrape off some with a knife. Put the scrapings on a tea spoon,
spatula, or metal something. Heat over a low flame. The melting
point of acrylic is 320F (160C). Monitor the temp with an IR
thermometer. If it melts and is kinda rubbery when warm, it's
plastic. If it burns, it might be mold.

Your screwdriver shows a finer pattern of plastic rot than my hex
wrench. It looks similar but may be a slightly different plastic type
(presumed to be acrylic). I can't tell from here.

If you feel ambitious, scrape off a sample, and mail it to me (address
below is my office) and I'll put it under the microscope and post a
photo. Be careful with the packaging so the USPS doesn't think it's
Anthrax or cocaine.

Any hint as to the manufacturer of the screwdriver?

I'm still not 100.0% sure about the white stuff. For example, what's
this?
http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-10937245/stock-photo-home-made-dry-wurst-with-thin-coating-of-white-mold.html

--
Jeff Liebermann