Posted to alt.free.newsservers,sci.electronics.repair
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default Why would free newserver aioe be on s.e.r "441 banlist" but nota.h.r ?

In article ,
Danny D. wrote:

I use two Italian free newservers & noticed this strange happenstance:

1. aioe can NOT post to sci.electronics.repair
2. albasani CAN post to sci.electronics.repair

That is, when I post with aioe as my free news server, I get, in PAN,
the error "441 Banlist" when I try to submit the post (see screen shot):
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12360787.png

However, if I change nothing but the free newsserver, I 'can' post
to sci.electronics.repair (witness this post):

I have this problem with no other newsgroup (to my knowledge).

Do you have any debugging tools for me to figure out why this happens?

It's probably not anything that you are doing.

If I recall properly, the sci.electronics.repair newsgroup is one
which has had a problem of abusive postings (trolling, personal
attacks, etc.) by a number of individuals over the past few years.
Some of these abuses took place through the aioe news-server. When
people complained to aioe about the abuses, aioe's reaction was to
block the abuse by blocking most or all posting to this newsgroup.

This sort of problem is common to many free services... since they're
open to all (with little or no pre-registration or confirmation of the
user's identity) they're prone to being abused. And, as they're free,
the operators don't have a steady revenue stream to pay an employee to
monitor for abuse and shut down individual abusers... all they can do
is block the entire abused region (e.g. newsgroup).

I don't know whether aioe blocked posting to this newsgroup from *all*
of the Internet, or only from certain IP address ranges which were
commonly used (or misused) by abusive posters. Nor do I know if it's
possible to gain an "exemption" from the ban, by registering with aioe
and confirming your identity and getting a password-protected account.

Their service is free, and you're guaranteed to get just as much as
you're paying for :-)

--
Dave Platt AE6EO