Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stanley Schaefer Stanley Schaefer is offline

Default Cast bullet gear question..

On Mar 4, 7:21*pm, " wrote:
On Mar 4, 8:30*pm, John B. wrote:

Assuming that you are using the sizer die as designed - pushing the
bullet all the way through it - the sized bullet will be the diameter
of the smallest portion of the die.

Cheers,

John B.

That was my thought. *I have never done any sizing, but my
understanding was that the bullet went thru the die. *As long as that
is the case , taper in the die should not matter.

Dan

Some sizers are set up that way(Star) for push-through, but most are a
down and up thing, there's a center pin that ejects the bullet on the
up stroke. The Star is for blunt handgun bullets where the next one
pushes the last one out the bottom, were used for high-production
needs, like cops' practice ammo.. Used with a spire-point rifle
bullet design, you'd end up with dubbed-off points and maybe messed-up
bases. Not a good thing. Can't seat gas checks with a Star, either,
bullets are pushed point-first.. And you still need a lead-in taper
in the die unless you like off-center shaved-off bullets. Current
production dies are made that way, the mouth of the die is bigger than
the center, the taper is about 1 bullet dia. in length. Obviously,
the bullet has to get by the taper part and get pushed down to the
straight section. Old Ideal and Lyman dies had an internal step for
the sizing part and were notorious for off-center sizing. Need to
swage, not shear.

Stan