Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cast bullet gear question..

Ed Huntress fired this volley in
news
I've tried oiled newspaper, and it's not as good as the aluminum foil

I've got some snap-together plastic wiring chase material from a $1.00
bin at SkyCraft (in Orlando) that just happens to be a decent (loose) fit
over the ways of my lathe. The male and female halves are roughly the
same depth, and are a 'telescoping' fit when the snap-grooves are cut
off. They make dandy adjustable way covers, with rags under them at the
bitter ends to handle the small area of travel. They also keep the rags
down and out of 'capture' range, should anything rotating hit the ways.

If one did a lot of grinding on the lathe, I'll bet there's some square
aluminum tube or channel out there in suitable telescoping sizes, and if
one half could be fixed to the ways, and the other to the saddle...

LLoyd