Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

Default Dirty switchers ...

In sci.electronics.repair wrote:
On Mon, 4 Mar 2013 23:36:09 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

In sci.electronics.repair Arfa Daily wrote:

"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message
In sci.electronics.repair Arfa Daily wrote:

"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message
In sci.electronics.repair Arfa Daily wrote:
Has anyone seen any good write-ups on, or figured out for themselves,
just
how the self-oscillating dirty - i.e. smoothing cap-less - switchers
that
you find in use as lamp ballasts (or 'electronic transformers' that
they
seem to be sometimes known as) work ?

I recently acquired a fairly sophisticated disco lighting fixture that
has
such a supply to run the 24v 150 watt lamp. It seems to have two main
switching devices, which I suspect are FETs or IGBTs, but can't tell
for
sure so far, as the numbers have been ground off them. On the mains
side,

That's pretty high tech for a product from the 1970s to use a switching
power supply.

1970s ? Where did you get that from ? It's actually about 4 or 5 years
old
at a guess ...

Arfa

This one seemed to go over everyone's heads.

the joke (and sad truth) is disco never died in europe. All horrible
things last forever there.

Clearly, you don't understand the difference between 'Disco' and *a* disco
... See my other reply :-)

the germans have some of the creapiest musicans that are still alive and
popular, like Fancy.

Well, that's Germany for you. That's mainland Europe, which we in the uk,
aren't. Being an island, our culture is rather different from that of
mainland Europeans, although politicians both sides of that watery divide
seem to have trouble comprehending that. We have some of the best musicians
in the world, and most of the rest of the world follows our lead ...

It is safe to say good music comes out of the UK on a regular basis.

Bagpipes?

ugh, I hate the sound of bagpipes.