Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Default mold forms on cords, knobs, and tool handles

On Mon, 04 Mar 2013 21:38:08 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Mon, 04 Mar 2013 19:21:44 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 4 Mar 2013 15:46:39 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

I've been sniffing Xcelite (and similar) tools on and off for years, and I
always assumed the odor came from the handle, not the case.

It does. The ones without a case smell just as bad (just got a bunch
of screwdrivers at work last week).

Hmmm... I washed the tools and seperated the case from the tools for
a few days. I found that the odor came from the case, not the tools.
However, I did that maybe 15 years ago and only vaguely remember the
circumstances. I have some Xcelite nut drivers in a plastic case. If
they stink, I'll try the test again.

The screwdrivers have never been in a case and still smell of xcelite.
I also have a set of ~50YO Xcelite nutdrivers that still stink but
they are in a case. No white powder, though.