Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Oven thermometers

"Gordon Henderson" wrote in message
In article . com,
Mike Lane wrote:
Gordon Henderson wrote on Mar 4, 2013:

In article . com,
Mike Lane wrote:

I have one of these:
http://thermometer.co.uk/427-oven-th...and-timer.html

It seems quite accurate - boiling water reads 100C. It's excellent for
measuring the internal temperature of food while cooking in the oven

Almost got one of those, but went for the dual-probe "Heston" ones
a while back - which is good to be used while stuff is cooking
(Keep the actual meter outside the oven though!) It works in the
BBQ too http://unicorn.drogon.net/chickens.jpg

Gordon

I looked at those, but from what I understand the alarm can only be set to
certain preset values, whereas the ETI one can be set from any value from
0
to 300C.

I sometimes use it set to 5 degrees to check when food is defrosted for
example.

Yes, it's preset values. Personally I just use them as a guide though. The
one down-side is that it's a little slow - not an issue if you are cooking
something with the probes in from the outset, but you can't just stab
it into something and hope for a quick check - it can take 30 seconds
to stabilise )-: If I'd known that before I got it, I might have thought
twice, but it was on offer in the local cook shoppie.

Dearth of decent bluetooth or wifi thermometers
at other than an obscene price tho. That would
be much more convenient with a meat or cooking
thermometer, you wouldn't have to hang around
in the kitchen at all when doing a roast etc.