Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Cast bullet gear question..

On Mon, 4 Mar 2013 06:07:25 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Mar 4, 8:38*am, Ed Huntress wrote:

Can you say Sunnen hone?

I can say it. I just can't afford it.

--
Ed Huntress

The used ones are not all that expensive. There is one on Ebay with a
$1200 buy it now, and several more at under $2000 . But they are not
exactly hobby machines. I could probably figure out a use for one
every year or two. The same money could be spent on a vertical band
saw and that would get a lot more use.

Dan

For a little job like Gunner is talking about, the quickest and surest
way to do it, absent a $1200 tool, is to use his internal grinder.

I think he's overly worried about taper. He shouldn't have any
measurable taper over that short stroke. If he does, he has bigger
problems with that lathe.

--
Ed Huntress