Posted to alt.home.repair
Attila Iskander Attila Iskander is offline

Default Shoot through the door

"Frank" wrote in message
On 2/28/2013 4:53 PM, HeyBub wrote:
Frank wrote:

With secret service living/renting a guest house on his property in
Chateau Country you probably can't get within a half mile of his
house.
It would also be illegal to fire a shot out the door, as well as it
would be illegal to shoot someone outside the house. Castle doctrine
only allows you to shoot an intruder inside.

Not so. "Castle Doctrine" or no, you are allowed to use deadly force in
defense of yourself. It could be "up close and personal" as was the
claimed
case of Trevon Martin or it could be some distance away.

If my assailant is standing ACROSS THE STREET and taking pot-shots at me,
have an absolute right to shoot back (assuming other facts not in
evidence).

If, to zero in on your scenario, the malefactor is chopping on my front
door
with an axe and screaming "I'm gonna cut off your head ! I'll teach you
trample my petunias!" It would be not only legal, but meritorious, to
shoot
through the door.

Inside, outside, might make a difference in the "reasonable man" test,
but
is irrelevant as far as the law is concerned.

Right but people that get in trouble for example are the guy that shot
someone stealing his motorcycle outside going away from him. Police said
since he was not threatened he should not have been shot. I've heard
people told candidly by cops that if they shoot someone outside to drag
him inside.

Nonsense.
Most States have laws allowing the use of deadly force to stop a criminal
getting away while committing a felony.